CLASS NOTES August 2007

Reunion was wonderful! A total of 74 of us were on the Bryn Mawr campus that weekend. We ate with Nancy Vickers and sang with songmistress Alma Lee Carpenter Friday night. Carol Banquer instructed some of us in Pilates early Saturday morning. At our class meeting, Joan Zakon Borysenko helped us remember who we were and how we’ve grown. Ruth Levy Guyer read selections from her new book, Baby at Risk, at a book-signing event. (Hear Ruth’s commentaries at www.npr.org.) That night we dined at Wyndham and gathered at the home of Beverly Lange Baserga for conversation and Margaret Edwards’ valuable instructions on writing memoirs.

Sunday morning we paraded to Goodhart Hall and heard a stunning speech by Class President Penny Milbouer about literature and life. Equally stunning was the news from Class Collector Terry Newirth that we’d contributed $292,729 to the Annual Fund this year–at 73% participation–the largest gift of any class. Since 2001, we have given $1,548,196.

We owe it all to the tireless work of Renée Allard Betts and Elana Klausner Vikan, Reunion Co-Managers, to Terry and Lynette Palmer Perkins, Class Collectors, to Penny, to Alma, and to Jeanne Lance for coordinating and editing our reunion book, Continuing Reflections.

Robin Kadison Berson: The reunion was a deeply reassuring few days; I guess at this moment we can recognize the value of human connectedness. My Significant Other, David, was so moved that he attended his own reunion at Christ Church, Oxford–something he has never done. He said the warmth and gladness among the men there was startling. The good feelings generated by our reunion have rippled out like the rings from a pebble dropped in a quiet pond.

Hilary Hosmer: Bob and I had a wonderful time. We thoroughly enjoyed the President’s dinner, getting acquainted with Rockefeller dorm, touring the campus, and the Illumination event. The individual write-ups are treasures we will keep.

Renée Allard Betts: It was quite amazing how many people came to reunion, and so many with spouses or significant others or with daughters. I’m so glad that Elana was the co-manager this time around. Bev’s Saturday soirée gave me a new food passion: scroppino, the lemon sorbet blended with Prosecco.

Wendy Wassyng Roworth: Reunion was a wonderful, energizing experience. I’ve been telling everyone how much fun it was to spend time with so many smart, accomplished, interesting, and interested women of a certain age. Soon after the reunion my husband and I traveled to Bregenz, Austria, where I lectured at an exhibition of “my” artist, Angelica Kauffman. We stopped in Zurich for a brief visit with Sibyl Kleeman Frischknecht, her husband Max and daughter Stephanie. It’s nice to be reconnected with BMC friends and to know that the bonds are still there.

From Nimet Habachy: On June 24, 2007, I married Dr. Hussein Amin-Salem, whom I met when giving a talk to a group of Egyptian-Americans. We courted in New York’s opera houses. Hussein is widowed, with two children and three grandchildren whom I’m enjoying getting to know better. A semi-retired obstetrician-gynecologist and expert in infertility, he is still involved, after helping make many babies, with endocrinological research and teaching.

I retired as the all-night classical DJ at WQXR radio in New York City after 26-1/2 years. Sheherazade spun records for a lousy 1001 nights: I’d been spinning records, tapes and discs for over 6001 nights until April 28, 2007. On the final show, I told the audience that clues to the reason for my departure were in the night’s music. I played bits from the Marriage of Figaro, Mendelssohn, and Wagner on the subject and exited at dawn. Sheherazade and I have something else in common: she got herself a sultan, and I got me a doctor.

Diana Gonzalez Scatton reported that she worked her last full day for the Chicago Public Schools in September 2006, and retired completely in January. She’s since been visiting New Mexico, North Carolina, Texas, and California and enjoying time with her husband, her mom and sisters, her five children, and nine grandchildren.

During her sabbatical year, Bonnie Spanier will finish a book about feminism, evidence-based medicine, and breast cancer activism and will be a Maria Goeppert Mayer Visiting Professor of feminist science studies at the Carl Von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Germany. But her best news: “I am in love.”

Sending reunion regrets was Susan Ames, Class Webmistress, who attended a conference in Chamonix, France, on structure formation in the universe, a conference in Italy organized by the Florence Observatory, and a conference in Marseille on energetic events in cosmology. Continued thanks to Susan for keeping our class Web site up to date! (Visit http://www.alumnae.brynmawr.edu/bmc1967/.)

From Anne Livingston Holland: We do not expect my husband Carroll Faulkner to be with us much longer. I am exceedingly glad that he has been able to remain at home with hospice care, and I feel blessed to be part of this process, honoring his wishes and witnessing his courage, humor and acceptance. Our families and friends, our church, and the company of Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon keep me sane, focused on the present moment, and able to endure the sadness of losing him, knowing I am not alone. I hope to see you all at our next reunion!

Kathy Sborovy Janowitz

Kathy Sborovy Janowitz died of a heart attack in New York on July 27, 2007. She is survived by her husband, Jim Janowitz, whom she met at Haverford, her daughter, Jessie, and her son, Will.

Attending her funeral at Riverside Memorial Chapel were Mary Farrell, Ronnie Scharfman, Mary Delaney McConaghy,Louise Yelin, Diana Willis Rothman, Fran Schwartz, Jeanne Lance, and Penny Small. Friends from Haverford–Jesse Sigelman, George Stavis, and Bob Klein–came to the funeral or sat Shiva.

Kathy at 17 was a perceptive interpreter of literature–especially in English and French, but later as she explored her Czech Jewish heritage, of Middle Europe and the world. She sought to understand her history and responsibility as an only child of Holocaust survivors. An unconventional and complex woman, she minutely examined her own psyche through dreams and analysis.

Kathy loved travel and friendships and was committed to many worthwhile causes, but within the multitude of her activities, she needed solitude. At reunion, she commented on how much the beautiful architecture and landscaping of the campus had meant when we took time out from our studies–or sought places to be alone and reflect.

At Bryn Mawr, Kathy’s beauty and brilliance were dazzling. In life beyond Bryn Mawr, the light of her mind glowed in her short stories, poems, plays, drawings, and pastels, illuminating the lives of those she loved. She wrote and directed “An Actor Prepares A Trilogy”: “The Cookie Jar,” “Beating the Odds,” and “Somebody Up There…,” produced at the Weist-Barron Theater in New York.

Kathy was fiercely loyal to her family and friends. Grandmother to Jessie and Eddie Fishman’s sons Toby and Leo, she looked forward to getting to know their daughter, Sylvie, born eight days before her passing.

We will cherish the memory of this brilliant and funny girl, who became the kind and incredibly brave woman.

Many thanks to Diana Willis Rothman, Fran Schwartz, Sibyl Kleeman Frischknecht, Margaret Edwards, and especially Jeanne Lance for this tribute to Kathy.

Taffy
’67 Class Editor

Taffy Brecht Everts
803 Rebecca Drive
Boulder Creek, CA 95006
831-338-4899
taffy@cruzio.com